Projects & Initiatives
Foundation funding is granted to enhance the educational programs, initiatives, and capital projects of the SWCS District that could not be initiated or maintained without private sector funding and charitable giving. These programs include:
- Academic Enrichment and Support
- Core subject areas, books, supplies, lab equipment, and field trips
- Technology, software, hardware, and training
- Buildings and grounds
- Outdoor Areas
- Extracurricular Activities
- Clubs and Associations
Gifts and Grants the Foundation Have Made the Following Possible:
- The installation of the new athletic complex sound system – $7400
- Elementary School Fine Arts Project – $ 1500
- DECA Club travel expenses for state competition – $ 200
- Elementary School Science Lab – $ 1500
- New portable bleachers for the off campus athletic fields – $ 9000
- New Baseball Field – $100,000
- Wireless computer laptops for Middle School and High School – $ 6000
- Music department sound and audio mixing equipment – $15,000
- SWCS Soccer, Football and Track Sports Complex and Girl’s Softball Field – $590,000
Current Foundation Awards:
- Annual Scholarships – Beginning in 2008, the SSEF awards two scholarships a year, in the amount of $250 each, to two graduating seniors who have made an outstanding contribution to a positive school atmosphere during their years at SWCS.
>> 2014 SSEF Scholarship Recipients
- Annual Teacher Innovation Grant – In 2009, the SSEF awarded its first annual Teacher Innovation Grant for $1,000. The Foundation will award one grant annually, for up to $1,000, to a current Southwestern School District teacher for a creative and innovative program that supports their area of teaching and enhances the students’ learning experiences. All teachers are welcome to apply each year. The recipient of the $1000 Teacher Innovation Grant for 2009 is Jennifer Anderson. Ms. Anderson will be using the grant money to develop a mobile language lab utilizing MP3 technology to aid the speaking and listening skills of a foreign language. The lab will be accessible to the Middle School and High School foreign language students. Congratulations Jennifer!
- 2011 Technology Upgrade Fundraiser: The SSEF is proposing a $50,000 goal which will be shared between the three schools to address their technological needs.The goal is to provide funding for 25 desktops for the Elementary school, 25 desktops for the Middle School, and 9 complete SmartBoard Systems for the High School, along with accompanying software. Each and every student in the Southwestern School system will benefit from this venture. Teachers will be able to engage students in more challenging and exciting curriculum. Click here to see our flyer (Adobe PDF).
- Annual Fall Raffle
- Brick Sale: When the old Lakewood Elementary School was torn down, members of the SSEF salvaged numerous, original bricks that have been incorporated into a landscaped brick garden at the entrance of the new SWCS Sports Complex. Also, incorporated into the design are personalized, engraved new bricks that can be purchased for a minimum donation of $50.00 each. Bricks have been purchased to honor former teachers, remember old friends, congratulate graduating seniors or commemorate your own years as a Southwestern student. Bricks are still available as our walkway continues to grow. Click here to download a copy of the brick order form (Adobe PDF).